Thursday, May 17, 2007

Harry Anson

Our community has lost a wonderful person, Harry Anson.

Over the years, I came to know Harry and worked with him closely on several issues regarding our community. He served as a great mentor to me, helping me navigate through County government's ropes, and some of the State's ropes.

Harry was instrumental in getting our School Board Members ELECTED, not just political appointments serving at certain people's whims; we joined hands as he was a Republican and I a Democrat in order to achieve this objective. It was hard work helping bring this idea to fruition, but a necessary one for the betterment of our childen's education.

My education about tax abatements was tendered to me by Mr. Anson. The first time I requested the tax abatement report, the one I received was only five pages long. It was Harry who told me to go back and asked for tax abatements broken by township -- then I got about a 20 page report.

The last time I spoke with Harry, he was still going up to Camp Atterbury and working with troops shipping out for war. His job was to take the DNA samples, their last wills, etc., in case they didn't come home. As I knew that had to be a difficult job working with these soldiers, at the same time I realized there couldn't have been a better person for that job; one who understood and one who cared.

He appreciated Mildred Wilson's, Susan Johnson's and my citizen activist work; because he knew someone had to care and keep watch over our monies and the politicians -- no matter the "party".

Being a past speaker at the Historic Kiwanis's Club, I didn't realize Harry may have been in the room when I spoke that night about how our past "sewer plan" was not going to work and where I passed around New Albany's two sets of books (which had recently been uncovered). After I spoke that night, someone asked me in the room what "they" could do to help out with the things going wrong at that time in New Albany...I remember saying I didn't know what each person's claim to fame was in the room...only they knew; I know now it couldn't have been Harry that asked that question. He had, and kept on, doing everything in his power to make all of Floyd County a better place to live.

He was a great and wonderful man and did so much good for our community. We should all strive to make our lives so worthy and giving as you did with yours.

Harry, I enjoyed working with you on various projects and I feel such a loss at your passing. My sincerest condolences to your lovely wife and family. You will be greatly missed by your community and friends.

Rest in peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so saddened by the news of our loss of Harry Anson. I agree with your thoughts about this sincere and wonderful man, who stood up for what he believed.

I appreciated his calls and the interesting conversations about local government. I just wish there could have been more of them. My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and family. He will be missed.
Susan

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

Thank you for your thoughts, Susan.

Someone else sent a comment, but it got lost somehow -- my computer is acting like it has a mind of it's own and I just know it doesn't.

Peace, NA.