Thursday, August 02, 2007

Roma Evelyn Hunt

As I mentioned earlier, I had to attend another funeral Wednesday, my third in one month. Mentioned below is the obituary to my Aunt Roma, a wonderful, wonderful Aunt. Everyone should have an Aunt Roma.

Roma was born August 8, 1924, in Ashland, Ky., a daughter of the late Harlan and Theodocia Grahm Kersey (my grandparents). My father is her baby brother, and as a big reality check to me, her only surviving brother.

Roma was retired from G.C. Murphy in Ashland (oh, the days of the five and dime stores where you got the most excellent of food).

Roma was preceded in death by her husband, Gordon Lee Hunt, a daughter, Linda Kay Hunt, four brothers, (and this is where it gets tough for me, memories -- ya know) Herbert Kersey (a painter who died within two weeks of my grandfather from painting on scaffolding at Armco Steel), Harlan Kersey (Ashland City police officer), Glen Kersey (retired, disabled officer of the U.S. Army), and Ezra Kersey (he was also a painter) and four sisters, Ruth Hayes (she always worked at Star Department Store), Orpha Kazee (they moved down to Florida when I was ittie bittie so Orpha's husband Herschel could work at the space center), Betty Mikovich (she was the baby girl of the family -- known for her number of marriages) and Lillian Dixon (she worked with Roma at Murphy's five and dime where they both were cooks).

She is survived by a brother, Bobby Gene Kersey (my Daddy), a daughter Janet, a son, Michael; four grandchildren and Sue Lyons, who was like a daughter and several nieces (me) and nephews.

The Kersey Reunion is coming up, too quickly if you ask me. We always sing Happy Birthday to her and now we have had two members of the family pass away since last year.

With my father in charge of the reunion, he is looking to his children and all of my cousins (toooooo many to mention or name), but I surely trust, with the strength and faith of this family, we will continue to gather together and eat all the garden's bounty over and over again. Our reunion is timed just for that reason -- the gardens are in!!!!!

By the way, Aunt Roma wrote me a letter giving me my grandmother's chicken and dumpling recipe. Mama passed at the age of 95 in 1982, so it is hard telling how old this recipe is. Roma ALWAYS made the chicken and dumplings. Guess I'll give it a whirl this year -- wish me luck, it makes enough to feed an Army -- but I guess Mama did have quite a few mouths to feed!

Love ya Roma...Rest in Peace. Gosh, you will be sorely missed.

4 comments:

Iamhoosier said...

Politics is one thing. The loss of a family member is an entirely different matter. My sincere sympathy to you and your family.

Mark

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

Thank you, I needed that! Take care.

Anonymous said...

From our conversations over the years, I know your Aunt Roma was a very special lady and you will miss her dearly. My sympathies go out to you, your Daddy, and her whole family. Good luck making the chicken and dumplings for the reunion. Remember, your Aunt Roma and your Grandmother will be at your side smiling and guiding you – and oh so proud that you care enough to carry on the tradition and good memories.
Take care, Susan

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

Thank you for that, friend. It will surely be an experience making those chicken and dumplings as there was not enough counter tops or table tops to roll ALL THAT DOUGH OUT! Figure about three days of work ought to take care of it.

Yes, they'll be by my side. Usually I make the fried corn for the reunion, because Mama always made that and nobody, and I mean nobody, made fried corn the way Mama did. She always said the secret was in the way you cut it off the cob. We fixed 24 ears of corn to make fried corn last year and it was gone in 15 minutes.

The chicken and dumplings ought to hold up a little bit longer, though I hear we have a lot of long lost relatives coming in from all over the country, so, we'll see...

Thanks for caring and reassuring me I CAN DO this thing!