Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Florida "Experience"

Reading back through the earlier postings, I realize I almost left out the "banana republic". Their Democrat party greeted me with open arms. Clinton/Gore were running and Jeb Bush was trying to take the late Governor Chiles out. Have to admit, I have never been given the finger (if you know what I mean) as much as the two days I stood in Ft Lauderdale with the Clinton/Gore signs and Chiles' signs. At that time, it had not dawned on me I was in a Republican stronghold State.

The funniest thing may have been the debate between Jeb Bush and Governor Chiles. Chiles looked at him and said "the old he coon hunts in the dark". Jeb Bush was absolutely stunned and did not know what to say. It was kind of funny. Then, when Chiles won, he wore a coonskin hat to his swearing in. He was a good Governor, and Broward County did go Democrat that year. See what happened after I left?

Next posting, maybe then we can move into New Albanian politics. Take care New Albany. Remember, home is where you hang your heart.

3 comments:

The New Albanian said...

Here it is, Yvonne:

What is in the platform of a fiscally conservative Floyd County Democrat that distinguishes him/her from a Floyd County Republican?

Your comments in the Tribune about the separation of church and state were quite enjoyable. See, we do agree on something.

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

My answer to your first question would be "social issues" and the way the monies are spent.

Thank you for enjoying my comments in the Tribune. I, too, am glad we can agree on something.

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

Need to make a correction to my own posting (can you imagine that). Governor Chiles statement was "the old he coon walks before the dawn". Sorry for the misquote.