Thursday, June 01, 2006

After working with Mayor Harvey Sloane's PAC monies; I ended up getting laid off from CSX (formerly Cybernetics & Technology). Working at the Louisville Motor Speedway for 10 years as the Chief Nascar Scorer every Friday and Saturday night and working all week left little time for anything, other than my two daughters.

Then came the big job offer from Boston, MA. The job offer was worth all 3 jobs I was working in Louisville; something you simply had to do to continue with "my" career. Cortex was the name of the company and manufactured a 4th generation computer language (4GL). I probably lasted in Boston about six months as a Consultant; too much concrete for this country girl. The experiences I had were worth their weight in gold; seeing Cambridge and Harvard; driving all the way around Cape Cod and seeing the National Seashore.

Michigan came next with a contract working on their State Welfare system. This contract was six months in length, which gave no time for political or bowling contacts!

Atlanta, GA was next on the list. Marietta was a great place to live and Atlanta was an experience I relish. They have these ice storms though, and digging out of about 10 inches of ice just isn't my cup of tea.

Let's see, then my business/computer analytical skills to me to Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Interim is a huge "temporary" firm, and absorbed Victor Temporaries, all the way down the line. We had Corporate offices, Licensees and Franchisees (several) in every state in the US. There were several people who worked our "help desk", but only 3 Analysts sitting downstairs taking care of all problems the 12 people on the help desk couldn't figure out. My specialities included all of the financials, taxes, recreating bugs, visiting offices all over these United States. 16 hours days, but something I had learned well and succeeded more than any expectations I would have had at the age of, let's see, about 18.

A lot of my friends are amazed, and I guess I am too, about how far you can go in this country and make something out of yourself and have your dreams and succeed, despite the hand you may have been dealt.

While working in Florida (which I still love and miss), my youngest daughter called me up and informed me I would be a grandmother on my 40th birthday. Happy Birthday to me. Mom resigned and moved back to the Louisville area to be with her daughter. After 20+ years in computers (hey, I was there when they invented the PC and the hard drive was on the OUTSIDE of the box), I think I had had my fill anyways. Working my way to the top, using the mainframes, knowing DEC and IBM was an accomplishment and I'm proud of my success in being a computer and business analyst.

Over the ten years prior, I had know Frank Lucchese as a friend. He started dating me when I came back to Louisville, and he plays a big role in how I ended up in New Albany. That would be another story, though.

Then came the great sewer fiasco on Main Street. From that point forward, I have truly become interested on what IS GOING ON IN THIS FAIR CITY.

No comments: