Friday, July 20, 2007

T H E W A R . . . . . . . . . (WHICH ONE)?????

As an American citizen, when I found out we were going to war with Iraq, I got on the horn. We called our U.S. Senator and our U.S. Congressman and stated clearly we felt this war was unnecessary, contrived and Iraq WAS NOT a threat to OUR national security. As I have said before, the 9/11 terrorists were not from Iraq. My feelings are strong against using another country to fight our war on "terrorism". How many times have they "tried" telling us "if we don't fight it there, they'll come over here"? Wrong. Wrong on ALL COUNTS. And, still wrong to this day. On the news there was mention of either Time or Newsweek having an article stating even if we started pulling out tomorrow, how long do you think it would take just to get the 40 some thousand vehicles alone out? As all of the logistics was mentioned of what a nightmare it would be and potentially we might have to stay for life, I lost my taste for my coffee.

My opinions about this war have never been kept secret on "my" little blog here, but now it has been tainted with my family now being drawn in to this inept President's "second, or is it third" surge.

My nephew has been called up for Afghanistan. Afghanistan doesn't bother me like Iraq does; but it does bother me we pulled our troops from Afghanistan to fight in Iraq. The REAL ENEMY is up on that Pakistan/Afghanistan border -- and that is where my nephew is going.

There's always a catch, isn't there? He's served his four years of Guard duty, yes National Guard. He was to be released in October. He's in school at the top of his class in computers. The problem with me lies in the fact that he IS NOT IN THE ARMY, he IS NOT IN THE NAVY, he IS NOT IN THE MARINES, he is in the NATIONAL GUARD. The NATIONAL GUARD should be taking caring of the U.S. and not Iraq nor Afghanistan. We don't have enough Guards' people now to help our own citizens in times of disasters, like New Orleans i.e.....

As I had already warned my nephew Zachary that I did not think they were going to let him out in October, that I felt he was going to be part of the "next" surge Bush had planned...he didn't think so. He told me he would know by October because there would be a freeze put on his bank account. He's a little bit upset, to say the least, as am I. Personally, I don't feel he's been trained to fight in a war and I don't think that is what the National Guard is intended for...but I am pretty opinionated on this subject -- and not just because of him. The whole thing in general gets my goat.

Since the government was not going to let Zach out, he went ahead and re-enlisted and got the government's $20,000.00 re-enlistment bonus. I can't argue that I wouldn't have done the same thing, but your life isn't worth one million dollars to me. I love you like you are my own son, which I never had, and I can't even imagine what you are getting ready to do.

Your Aunt Von will be with you, and we'll communicate on "MySpace", and I'll send you mail and all kinds of care packages...just can't believe it, Zach. It literally makes me ill (and to be called up on your grandfather's (my dad's) birthday), sad sad day for us.

My faith is strong, as is the family's...we'll all be there with ya.

Love you Zachary Scott -- Aunt Von

7 comments:

G Coyle said...

We'll say a prayer for Zach that he, as well as all our soldiers, will be home safe soon.

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

Thank you for that, Gina. Pray for all of them.

Christopher D said...

May God keep Zach safe, as well as all of our soldiers serving our country.
We can all scream our heads off against the lopsoded foreign policies that have created this enemy in the first place. But we must always remember it is not our men and women in uniform who make the decision to go to war, they only have to answer for the rash decisions of our politicians. And the price they pay is a heavy burden for us all to bear.
Again, may God keep them all safe and bring them home healthy in both body and mind.

shirley baird said...

My prayers go out to Zach and you and your family and to all of the brave people in the military.

We can only hope that Congress puts an end to this war and everyone can come home safely and soon.

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

I can only agree with all the sentiments.

For my own thoughts about the National Guard, at least, being brought home - 1) because we need them and 2) because they are not trained as the other branches of our military for war.

When I lived in Florida (6 months before Hurricane Andrew roared through and changed in the last 15 minutes and shifted a few miles south of me in Ft Lauderdale, I watched the National Guard have Tent City set up and a food line going within 48 hours for at least 100,000 people. I watched them imposed martial law and stop the massive looting. I watched their cleanup efforts and how well they performed.

Did I see that in Lousiana or Missouri and I have a feeling other locations soon? Nah, they need to be here, where they belong -- but I'd like to hear other people's opinions on that subject.

Thanks for the caring and the prayers. Peace, NA.

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

Sorry Missouri -- make that Mississippi. Thank you.

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

Thank you Ceece for your info, and your prayers. Greatly appreciated. Peace to ALL.