Thursday, May 25, 2006

Twas just another day in the City of New Albany regarding politics. The Tribune read bad enough, but when the Courier articles are republished tomorrow (cos their presses went down last night), town will truly be chirping

Where was I on how I got into this thing call New Albany politics. Yeah, that's right -- my very first vote was challenged (and gotta admit, I didn't even know what that meant). From then on, I have taken the right to vote seriously.

After leaving Flatwoods for Lexington, KY and then Louisville with a couple of children by then, I have to admit I didn't have time for politics. When I moved to Jeffersontown and joined a bowling league in order to meet people in the area, I got involved with the ex late Mayor Potts Mayoral election campaign (his daughter was on my team). Mayor Potts won.

My next foray into politics came when John Y. Brown ran for the Governor of Kentucky. So strongly did I believe in this man's ability to govern, I volunteered front row and center for his first campaign. His re-election campaign -- right there, front row and center, but not feeling too good about things this time around. Kentuckians seemed to resent John Y for what I considered a foolish reason, and that would have been his trips to Vegas. All I could say was at least he was spending his own monies! But no, Wallace Wilkinson promised the lottery to solve all Kentucky's problems. Dismal night that election night.

The next political campaign came about through my computer consultanting contacts. Harvey Sloane was running for re-election as Mayor for Louisville and they needed someone to handle the PAC monies. Tapped for the job, and admiring Harvey Sloane as a politician and as a person, it was a different type of experience. You win some and you lose some -- life in general.

Thoughts for today.

No comments: