Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Democrat-Republican Society?

Due to networking throughout the years, I have been lucky enough to become friends with special people working as Congressional or Senatorial aides, for different States.

After receiving a telephone call from a national political consultant I have known for years, I was told there is a move underfoot to "recreate" the Democrat-Republic Society, originally established in the 1700's. The purpose of this organization was to defend our Constitution.

Supposedly, there are moderate Republicans and conservative Democrats wanting to join hands and recreate this organization.

New Albanian asked me once why I considered myself a "conservative" Democrat. As you can tell, I am against more government (thus why I wanted storm water to flow through the Planning Commission and not recreate the wheel and why the State advised me and I told the Council the storm water fee should go on our property tax rolls in order to be fair and equitable).

The argument for their logic to "recreate" this party is "supposedly" moderate Republicans are tired of the Christian hard right wing; and Democrats are tired of the extreme liberals.

Daggone...I need to do some research, like I have time. The words of "minutemen" and "minutewomen" were also brought into the conversation. The protests in Washington and elsewhere against the war arose, too, with us being asked to participate. It was too short of notice.

What a lot to think about...maybe I'll do that after Easter and enjoy the season as it is meant to be.

Peace, NA

6 comments:

The New Albanian said...

"New Albanian asked me once why I considered myself a "conservative" Democrat."

I only asked that because "conservative Democrat" is such a contradiction in terms.

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

Interesting I would find you with this particular comment. My indications were you would provide me with a more "historical" view of this 1700's organization -- but,
I guess I call myself a "conservative" Democrat because I am not as "liberal" a Democrat as my husband.

Believing there are two sides to every coin (thus the need for healthy debates); I need to listen to what the Republicans are saying and be able (somehow) to hopefully cross the aisle and come up with a bi-partisian solution. This is the only way I know how to play this game called "politics".

Definitely, the old saying "politics makes for strange bedfellows" has proven to be true for me.

The first "liberal" Democrat friend of mine was all against this idea I floated in the posting. He maintains the tax and spend like hell vision -- as long as they are spending it on us. He supports bigger government.

Probably these would be major issues in how I feel so differently on those matters.

It's funny how these very "liberal" Democrat friends of mine are so for gun control. Don't believe in them -- shouldn't have one.

Well, I would be feeling the extreme opposite on this issue; especially the right to carry a licensed concealed weapon. Everyone has their own bags, hey?

New blood for New Albany said...

Amen! Gun control, hmmmm, let's take the guns from law abiding citizens and let the criminals keep them. What an Idea! I for one would love to see a new party for all those who can't relate to the tree hugging,tax and spend,PETA supporting,Brady bill fanatic democrats or the Right wing...... Well I guess I relate a little more to Republicans, but not much more. New clarksonville.... Why not, couldn't be any worse than our current political situation.

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

An idea circulating that I still have to study upon. This party originally formed with an anti-France label...just not sure.

The New Albanian said...

The reason why I mention it is that historically, "conservative Democrats" maintained the racist status quo in the South for one hundred years after the Civil War.

That's why I believe it to be a contradiction in terms.

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

That may well be...I would never question your historical knowledge of past events.

Hopefully, at least I have, have traveled past that 100 year "label"; and being a "renegade" Cherokee -- we may not want to talk about 100 years ago, or so....

Hey, mon, this is a label I pigeon holed myself in...downtown I'm that "damn Kersey woman"...at home, I've been accused of being conservative enough to be a "Pub"...and on and on it goes, hey?

Being comfortable in my own skin, with the knowledge I have acquired over allll theeesseee years, I feel okay with what I label myself as. It may be a contradiction in terms...maybe the problem is I am a contradiction in terms insofar as I am not the person that was represented to you by word by other people.

We may not share same theologies about different subject matters; but we all want a better New Albany, no matter what you may call yourself.

Peace, New Albanian! Have a good one.