Monday, March 19, 2007

LET'S TALK BUILDING CODE ENFORCEMENTS AND THE CITIZENS OF NEW ALBANY'S HEALTH, SAFETY AND WELFARE

The following is a copy of a press release to the C-J from Mr. Steve Broadus; dated today 03/19/2007.

FROM STEVE BROADUS:

I was Building Inspector in New Albany from 1986 through 2004. I worked under 5 Mayors and had the respect of all prior Administrations and City Council Members for being fair, following codes and State laws. I believe I unfairly lost the position that I held for 18 (eighteen) years because I brought to the Administration's attention violations of Building Codes and State Law. Rather than addressing and correcting violations, the Administration chose to let them go. Although I will not talk about the specifics of my lawsuit, I did reach a settlement. No amount of monies could possibly compensate for ignoring violations that could have led to destruction of personal property and lives. Building Codes must be followed and not ignored in order to insure that all buildings are safe for the citizens of New Albany.

I have every reason to believe that come January, a new Administration will address these problems and New Albany will again be a safer place for all.

---------
From me personally, thanks Steve for your service, your ethics and stating the truth. Peace, NA

7 comments:

East Ender said...

Good job Mr. Broadus!
Most of us agree that you lost your job due to "politics" rather than any of the "excuses" that came out of the mouths of the Administration.
New Albany hasn't had a functional Building Commissioners office for the entire tenure of James Garner.
The position became a "political football" that just kept getting tossed around.
Meanwhile citizens of our city are living in housing that is dangerous and unhealthy. There are far too many housing structures that are not fit for human habitation and should be torn down.
Not just so the eyesores disappear as many have complained, but because everyone is entitled to decent, safe housing.
Question: Would you consider returning to your position under a different administration?

Christopher D said...

BRAVO!!
I am so glad he came out with this! Perhaps this will ruffle a feather or two in to action, or perhaps somebody should call for a local channel to do an investigating report into this matter. Hot on the heals of the children living in the rat infected home eating their dinner from a tub of butter, I am sure channel 32 or 3 would jump all over it!

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

Something Has Got To Be Done.

How many ways have we said it? The TV stations will jump on this story after it's published in the C-J. TV Media will also again be at the City Council meeting Thursday.

All gloves are off.

Thanks for the comments.

Christopher D said...

I think this is one council meeting work be damned, I plan on being at.

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

Yes, this is a very necessary (and damned) Council meeting that needs attended. As I am slated to speak publically to the Council, unfortunately for me it's my birthday -- of all things. Spend my Birthday with the Council? With some's mindset we citizens actually enjoy all this BS; no one would really want to spend their B-Day attending this Council meeting unless it wasn't extremely important, to all. That old saying sure is true -- the right thing to do is usually the hardest thing to do.

More to come. Thanks.

Christopher D said...

Well, I promise not to stand up in the middle of your speech and start a rousing chorus of happy birthday!

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

Thank you for that thought -- I sure needed a good chuckle today!

The thought of that happening is tooo funny. Hellloooo #53. See ya Thursday.