Monday, November 12, 2007

Several Dust Bunnies Needing Rid of In My Head

Everyone knows, deep down, it has to be an honor to have any United States President to visit our "hometown", even though I do feel this may be one of the worse Presidents in the history of the United States.

Wishful thinking in agreeing with Keith Oebermann the other night which is what happened to Nixon and how the Democrats got the Special Prosecutor appointed needs to happen now in exchange for the vote for our (how many is it now) Attorney General!

As I have been against this phony war since it's inception; have been very outspoken against same; and now my nephew is shipping out to Afghanistan to fight in same -- except they are sending him to Afghanistan to relieve the 101st Airborne and where the bloodiest fighting has happened this past week.

Words escape me in my feelings on this subject. Yes, I know some feel the National Guard is equipped and trained for these missions; I disagree.

My Uncle is past Marine; my father Navy; I talked with a Marine recruiter who said No way is the National Guard trained to do what needs to be done (simply not their mission in life) -- especially when it's still not the Country where the hijackers I am suppose to be fighting came out of. Yes, I would be one of those interested in protesting this war downtown tomorrow...if I thought it would make any difference -- at all.

The US were going to ship my nephew down to Mississippi for 3 additional months training; so we figured we would be able to drive down there. Orders changed to ship him to Connecticut and our family probably won't be able to get up that far...worry, worry, worry -- can't hardly stand it and he's not even there yet.

BTW, does the over $90,000.00 Southern Indiana One is wanting from US, AS TAXPAYERS, TO PAY FOR THIS EVENT? Inquiring minds want to know. REALLY.

This $1.00 garbage increase is another issue with me, also. As I am here to say that from the very beginning this has been a sham -- please allow me to tell you what happened at the Council's "committee meeting" with Steve LaDuke, Steve Price and Bill Schmidt, along with Mickey Thompson. Price and Schmidt voted to keep sanitation in-house. The next day, in the paper, current Mayor Garner announced the vote went the other way...one of those Council members called him up and told him he was just a flat out liar.

As I do not wish to insinuate this, I will ask the following for my own curiosity -- is this his last kickback for privatizing sanitation? Anyone know if England plans to bring it back in-house? Not knowing any of these answers leaves me feeling the next "progressive" (as they'll being call theirselves, I guess) should deal with it...not a lame duck Mayor and outgoing Council. Don't tie their hands, Mayor! This Council recommended a big fat NO to you, voted on same, and you did what YOU wanted.

Questions and more questions...Time to clean my house some more before the four year old shows up for his weekly babysitting.

Peace, NA.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your comments about President Bush and the war. I couldn’t have said it any clearer. My prayers for your brave nephew and all the other brave men and women, who serve their country. Many prayers still go out to their very brave families, also.

I guess that money Southern Indiana One wanted from Council really WAS for this Presidential visit. Was this visit to help Mike Sodrell? I understand New Albany had to pay extra money for security for the other visit and I am sure this visit isn’t a free ride, either. I think the Council should ask Southern Indiana One for money. Sorry, I don’t trust Southern Indiana One.

How about that garbage business? I think the $15 fee for large items will show up as more sneaky nighttime dumping in alleys and vacant land. If it is dumped on your property, will the city still require you to pay to have it removed, even though you are innocent? The city collecting loose debris at its discretion (does that mean turn your head for the good old boy?) and charging $45 per cubic yard could also get very touchy.

Yes, this is a good time to finally get some real information about that garbage contract and the companies involved. Like who are the investors, who are the employees, who does the sorting/recycling of the garbage and where does it go?

What about all those New Albany big red trucks owned by the citizens? How about trying to bring it totally back 'in-house' or getting quotes from other companies? So many of the same repeat over and over questions continue to come up year after year.

I hope the Council says NO rate increase or fee of any kind, until the RIGHT ANSWERS are given--and maybe not even then.

Susan

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

Absolutely in agreement.

FYI, today is the 1,657th day since "Mission Accomplished" declared on the destroyer; be safe and thanks.

Anonymous said...

This garbage fee increase has sure opened up a whole can of worms. The city sanitation trucks are in question.

Is it true that the private company agreed to make the remaining payments on those trucks?

Then, we heard that the city had to make some of those payments and that the private firm was to reimburse the city ?

We should ask Ms. Garry, Controller, for a finance report on the dealings with the private garbage firm.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know what payments we are making to this private garbage company each month?

How much money is coming in each month from the fees we now pay?

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

In the monthly EMC booklets, a bill is still coming in every month from the firm I always spell their name wrong, Melhiser Endres Tucker, CPA's, P.C. .

Their report shows they are still tracking "Sanitation, Sewers and Drainge". As I still feel outsourcing government accounting is against the law -- I challenge Council to come up with any kind of numbers on either our outsourced "sanitation" numbers and whether that payment was ever made up by Eco-Tech; and I challenge Council to tell me about the status of WHY DRAINAGE AND SANITATION HAS NEVER BEEN MOVED OUT OF THE SEWER SLUSH FUND, as said HAD TO BE DONE BY THE CURRENT MAYOR.

HAD TO, NO IFS AND OR BUTS.

Thank you for writing and giving us more information.

Now, getting that information out of the Controller. Help, Council!

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

Coincidences, Coincidences...

Received a letter from my United States Senator, Evan Bayh, regarding my concerns about the National Guard and my nephew and all others...

He relates he is committed to providing our National Guard and Reserves all the equipment and training they need to succeed in the field, as well as the healthcare, job protection, and educational benefits they deserve at home.

He is dismayed that there continue to be reports of equipment shortages and he assures me that he is doing everything in his power to remedy this troubling situation.

To that end, he has helped secure $1.3 billion for additional heavily-armored Humvees for troops serving in Iraq and Afghanistan as part of the 2008 Defense Appropriations Bills, in addition to supporting an increase of $23.6 billion for Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles in the Senate version of the 2008 National Defense Authorization Act. He has accelerated funding for the production of SINCGARS radios in the 2008 Defense Appropriations bill, and to have accelerated funding for Predator unmanned aerial vehicles.

These radios are essential to National Guard and Reserve units in Iraq and Afghanistan who have faced a shortage of high quality, reliable communications equipment...

He goes on to relate several pieces of legislation have been introduced in the 110th Congress that address the issue of educational benefits (S.22)...we all probably should be checking on these bills more frequently.

As it is hard enough to follow our home town of New Albany, and the bills before the State of Indiana's legislators...it is truly tough to track it on a national level.

Do I feel better after getting a letter from my Senator saying he is aware of my concerns and shares same...hmmm. No, I don't think so...though I do appreciate his efforts, his effects and him putting into words in black and white our concerns are valid.

Now, "Dubya", AND ALL OF THE REST OF THE LEGISLATORS (ALL), get us out of this fake war. Yes, we know -- as you said, Mr. President -- "they tried to kill my Daddy". Well, in case you didn't know it, and I will say it over and over again, those hijackers who tried to kill YOU AND ME AND THE REST OF US were out of Saudi Arabia.

Yes, the blood shed has let up in Baghdad. And, now, it's the bloodiest week ever in Afghanistan...and...

Glad to hear the Protestors were allowed across the street from the Grand, but in all of reality -- you have got to know he didn't even see you. "They" go to GREAT lengths to make sure that would never happen.

When Nixon came into Ashland during the Vietnam era, the protestors just knew he would fly in from Huntington, W VA...but no, they blacktopped a dirt road down past me in Worthington, KY and brought him up that way. We do not want to even go with what happened to those protestors that evening in Ashland. Strange how you meet up with people that were there at that point in time protesting while I was still wet behind the ears.

Forget that oil, "Dubya". We know how to get around...we are Americans and necessity/need are the mothers of all inventions, i.e., the bicycle.

No, I don't feel any better.

Yes, I got news last night this MeeMaw is having "another" Angel in her life, due June 10th.

#4...please let it be a girl...MeeMaw needs a girl. Of course, as long as Momma is happy and baby is healthy I'll be thankful -- but come on, after 3 boys of which two already out weigh me, can I have just one little granddaughter?

Life does go on, doesn't it? With or without you.

Ceece said...

oooh! Congrats on the baby!

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

Thanks, ceece!