Sunday, January 14, 2007

We Are Marshall

This movie is haunting me, in more ways than one. Marshall University, in Huntington, W VA, is 20 minutes from Ashland, KY, where I was born.

In 1970, I remember where I was, what I was doing and how traumatized our whole tri-state area was when this event occurred.

Every sportscaster on all 3 TV networks were killed. The entire football team were killed. One of the football players had graduated from my alma mater, Russell Independent HS and they had his funeral in our school, with Glee Club singing (of which I was a member of for four years).

This is something I lived through and was impacted and traumatized by as a sophomore in highschool. Can I relive it through a movie screen? Will it bring back memories and emotions I've tried to bury? Will flashbacks occur? If they do, they are not going to be pleasant.

The description in the paper describes it as PG, for emotion thematic material, a crash scene, and mild language. Sounds like I may need nerves made of steel, but I've made up my mind I must see it; it's history -- part of my history.

If anyone else has watched it, without the emotional involvement I'm going to have, I would like to hear your comments. Thanks.

1 comment:

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

It was with great sadness I read the news of the fire in Huntington, W VA Saturday night, killing seven with more feared dead.

The building housed both City residents and Marshall University students. Huntington's worse fire in 50 years, according to the officials.

My thoughts and prayers with everyone in the area.