Wednesday, February 21, 2007

ELECTIONS

This election I hope to personally make an argument to those running who have not attended ONE MEETING DOWNTOWN and simply believe the newspapers, there are several of us who will make this an issue.

Some of us have spent tooo long as citizens tracking issues, spent tooo much monies as citizens tracking issues, tooo much of a learning curve (which might take you about ten years to cut through what you really need to cut through), and tooo much time not knowing who did attend and who didn't.

You can not possibly know all of the issues. You may be an expert on one or the other, but not all. It takes a while. There may be some good people running this year; but I'm sorry folks. If you didn't have the time to attend meetings in the past, why the hey do I need you up there trying to figure it out when we need desperate, swift action on a lot of issues.

Oh, I know there are a couple who can say they may have attended one or two, but weren't they just to take from the City by getting tax abatements and taking advantage of the UEZ zone while putting Mansion Row (one of your highest real estate) into an area that had to be an "impoverished" area?

I always told the City they could have simply taken Water Road and came up 6th St. Meanwhile, because of certain individuals, (which I won't name at this time) who are running for office, benefit from this little plan.

Certainly, this would only be my opinionated self speaking here. There's a lot of weary taxpayers. But, gee... That's what happened with Mayor Garner. He didn't attend meetings before he became Councilman; then only had 4 years under his belt before becoming Mayor.

I guess it's a lot to ask of someone, but I'm setting a high bar this election for all of the candidates. Are you all as tired as I am of all this whatever you want to call it?

3 comments:

Iamhoosier said...

Yvonne,
From your post, I don't think that you will have very many boxes to have to fill in on election day. Aren't you basically saying that the "newcomers" don't know enough and that just leaves the current(and some retreads)office holders who have not fixed anything yet either.

Unfortunately, I have somewhat the same feeling. Any suggestions?

Mark

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

Let's just say I am going to be very selective in my voting in the primary.

Personally, I know who has been to what meetings, and why. Been there -- done that.

Personally, I know who has simply attended meetings to "receive" some type of taxpayer assistance, i.e., tax abatements, etc.

Personally, being past Precinct Democrat Committeeperson, I know who respects Voting Laws, and who doesn't. (This will be a BIG issue.)

Personally, this meeting referenced to on Highwayman's Blog at the Church will or would be a perfect place to ask these questions.

No offense to anyone, because I like this person personally; but when they ran last time for Council (they aren't this time), they spoke in front of groups and I (I) got complaints this person knew nothing about any issue except police issues. I asked them what can I possibly do about that? I don't know anyone who lives in that district, except a handful.

Too much at stake this election. I'd say most of them know their weaknesses and it shouldn't be too hard to flush out of them before we elect them, if they're simply asked the hard questions by the citizens who care, and who have been in the middle of this fray.

That's my only suggestion I can come up with at this time for you. I feel "Party loyalty" is only going to play so far this time around...and any responsible voter really needs to talk to the individual (if at all possible) one on one -- call 'em up. Ask them personally on the phone; see how accessible they are.

At this point in time, I can truly say there is only one Council member I have not felt like I could call and talk with them; no accessibility.

The rest of them -- just ask 'em; I don't hesitate to call each and everyone of them if I have any questions; and I feel more of that needs to happen from more of us.

Later on I'll publish just little tidbits of information of experiences had by me simply running a poll and how ugly some of these people running really are behind the scenes; when they feel no one is looking. Gee, Louise. They would fail to realize the only purpose of my position was to gaurantee the integrity of ALL VOTES; electioneering at it's worse.

I only get to vote for two at-large on City Council, one City Council person for my District, City Clerk, and the Mayor race.

It simply isn't going to be that hard for me. I may have a leg up on who and what, but that doesn't mean everyone else can't get there, too. Make their business YOUR BUSINESS.

Thanks for the spirit. How true it is for most people! More importantly, make an educated voting decision. What else can I say?

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

Sorry IAMHOOSIER -- we get to vote for 3 AT LARGE...fingers get ahead of my brain; sorry for the misprint.