Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Race For Mayor of "little old" New Albany

The race for Mayor of our fair City has finally started heating up. We now have Garner and Scharlow filed on the Democratic ticket and now Randy Hubbard as the Republican candidate. Our family, and other Dem's in town, received a mailing from former Mayor Doug England announcing he is running on the Democratic ticket also and will announce at the Redman's Club.

All of this is not the reason why the Democrats are in a tizzy right this moment. It doesn't matter the agreement made between Garner, Scharlow and England didn't hold up (the one a polling company called and asked which one of the above would you vote for). A lot of D's I talked to (I didn't get a call) said "none of the above". A lot of D's I've talked to want England. A lot of D's (party officials) want Garner.

The real problem downtown, right this moment amongst the Democrats, is the person serving as Randy Hubbard's campaign manager. This is what downtown is all "abuzz" about today. His name is Larry Dennison (?) and he is a LIFELONG, WELL KNOWN, DEMOCRAT. This subject is of great debate in the City-County building! Democrats are questioning today how "they" are going to heal the party.

Here, I'm being bastardized that I dare even know this man; that I've been on other blogs talking about the man -- not as a politician, but as a human being... Didn't I tell you things were going to heat up at election time? Unfortunately, I don't kid about things like this, too interesting, important and the impact will be felt amongst all, no matter who pulls the rabbit out of the hat.

Now, I feel better (and thanks IAMHOOSIER, for your comments). Everyone can't agree on everything all the time; and you can not make everyone happy; so, hey, have a beer and make yourself happy and do what you can do for this fair City.

After running my flag up against England, Overton and Garner; after attending 12 years worth of meetings and my house being overrun with "legal" documents, there are a lot of people who want business done right. After all, it's not personal, it's just business......... My Business -- Your Business -- THEY work for US; but I certainly don't see it.

6 comments:

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

One of my dearest "frins" in town, whom is steeped in local New Albany politics in this town doesn't think the Democrat Party will ever heal.

Why? Because it is all about what New Albany citizens need most -- healthy, safety and a better quality of life --not city Democrat politics as usual.

How right you are, my frin! Take care.

Christopher D said...

At the vary least, this should be an interesting campaign season. I am also one of those D's, but I find myself standing at the porduce counter of mayoral candidates looking over the samn old same old. I am not saying these guys are good candidates, not saying that at all.
What I am saying is outside of a little matter of a Military reservists problems on the sheriffs department, Hubbard has a proven track record as a leader in our community.
It still wasy early to throw my hat in any one ring in particular, but it will take some impressive campaigning by the democratic candidates to sway me this time around.

New blood for New Albany said...

O.K. lets either choose politics as usual or vote for someone who's been there before and was voted out because of less than honest practices. Thats what I'm hearing here. Larry Scharlow is the only name I've seen here thats running because he wants something to change. He's not a career politician as are the others. He is an honest, trustworthy, God fearing, sincere man who, like myself, sees a need for change in this town. He's not the same old same old, he ran before and the people elected Garner over him, that was a good choice wasn't it? Take a look at what the people stand for, don't listen to what the days of old politions are saying, they know what you want to hear and thats what they're going to be saying. Look at there track record! Actions are the only true gauge of how a man will act. In politics words have little meaning anymore.

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

Thanks for your comments. I definitely agree with some, while disagreeing with others.

Anonymous said...

Scharlow is a nice man but isnt a leader, his platform is vague and his idea to take sanitation and wastewater back to city management is laughable, sorry he isnt the answer

A Democrat in Floyd County said...

To "New Blood For New Albany" - we'll get to your question when we get there. Thanks for your comments.